Thursday, February 24, 2011

3 days left in Colombia :(

My month in Bogota is coming to an end and I´m torn. Part of me really wants to stay and experience more, but the other part of me can´t wait to get home! I turned in my white coat today, the hospital gave me one to use, and I´m basically done working´now. The past couple of days I was getting REALLY tired of kids with gastroenteritis, so I think its safe to say I was ready to be done lol. All in all, im happy that I got to coem here and learn in a different system. Fundacion Santa Fe is actualy only a very very small picture of what the medicine in Colombia is really like though. It very much resembles the US in terms of EMR, medical resources available, etc. If i could do it again, after already experiencing FSFB, I would want to do EM in a not so nice hopsital in town that gets trauma or at a rual health center in one of the surrounding small towns. But that´s def later, once I have a few years of being a doctor under my belt lol. Maybe one day... :)

Anyway, now that Im almost gone, I´m starting to think about where I want to visit next. I know craziness (intern year) is going to start soon in June and I wont really have anytime, but I´ve decided that I want to always have travel plans in the works. If not now, then when will I ever do it? Its all too easy to say theres no time. ANyway, I would love to come back to Bogota with Tim and show him how amazing it is. I also have really been wanting to go to Brazil lately. My cousin was there for 6 months and, although I already have been wanting ot go for a looooong time, the way he talks about it is just making me want to go even more. Also, #78 on my list of 200 things I have to do before I turn 50 is: learn Portuges!!

In other news, now that i only have a few days left, ALL of my aunts want me to see them. Theres too many aunts and family and not enough time :( I have gotten to see a good fair share of family though since ive been here and Im happy about that. Everytime I come to Colombia I meet more cousins and I love that. I dont think you can ever have too much family, even if they are somewhat crazy or weird lol.

what else...Ive met some pretty awesome people here at the hospital too. I think I work pretty hard, but Im constantly amazed by how hard the med students work here. They are brilliant and juggle school, research, traffic, and life in Bogota (which can be tough at times). I can honestly say, they work MUCH harder to be doctors than most american students do.

ok, now Im off to make the bes tof my last 3 days here!

No comments:

Post a Comment