Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day off :-)

So today, other than a 2 hr lecture, was a day off! I have tomorrow off as well so I used today to really work on my personal statement for the residency application.  I really struggle with writing formally so it's taking me FOREVER.  I want to include things about my previous military time and past struggles I've had to get where I am. It's just really hard to articulate it the way I want it to come out. ALso, it's difficult for me to write about myself and somewhat "sell" myself to program directors. I'm a MUCH better speaker/interviewer than writer :-/  Nonetheless, it's coming along. I have my interview on July 23rd so I hope to be done with the personal statement by the beginning of next week.  As far as the interview, i'm nervous about it. I know all I can do is be myself, be honest, and hope for the best. I'm just hoping I don't say something stupid lol, i have been known to do that from time to time.

Overall though, being here, on a base again, surrounded by people in the same "boat" as me has really calmed a lot of worries I was having in the months before I came. Being disconnected from AF people and things, while still having to make plans with the AF in mind was stressing me out. It's sometimes difficult for my peers, and even my closest family and friends, to really grasp the concept of why I would even want to be in the military. They certainly support me and are behind me no matter what I do, good or bad, but that's different than somebody who just understands and gets it. I love my supporters and don't know what I would do without them. But sometimes, it's refreshing and super reassuring to be around people who I don't have to explain anything to...they just know and feel/understand where my driving force comes from, nor do they see it as a nuisance. I think I was just getting the feeling that I was alone the past couple of months. Alone in the sense that I was constantly defending and sometimes even doubting all of this Air Force thing. Now that I'm here though, I remember exactly why I make and have made certain choices for myself that could potentially make my life very difficult and non-traditional.  I guess you could say I like I belong to a "team" (wow cheesy!!!) again.  So I know it's silly to feel like I'm alone in this, because I know I'm not. Maybe I just needed to see other people doing this, and not only doing it, but being incredibly happy doing it. So being here has been great on more than one level, I needed it.

A month and a half until I'm back in AZ! With my little abbey girl and in my own bed! I still have a bit to go, but I am getting excited :-)

 It has been a good day off, and this song always makes me relax :-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment