Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I feel old...

My favorite baby...esp when I need to get the chalk off my hands!
I'm not very good at bouldering



So, this weekend past labor day weekend was fun. It was relaxing, I got a lot done, and got to watch the Gators open what I know will be an awesome season.  The Chandler Gator club was a good time. It's great how you just feel a certain connection with people simply because they're wearing the same Tebow jersey as you. I literally talked to this couple like they were my best friends for 10 years....I only met them 5 minutes before kick off, it was awesome. 
For once (i broke down and didn't want to get crap from my friends for being "antisocial") I went out 2 nights in a row and skipped both of my morning rides, Strada and solo. I sort of get into a routine of not going out and getting up early for a long ride but I forget that its ok to miss a weekend, go out and have fun with friends. I'm glad I have friends that can remind me of this. However, when I do go out, I get tired around 11pm...unless of course I'm really having a good time with plenty of beers lol. I say I feel old though because I do get tired early and I'm usually the "mother" of the group/ DD. That is totally fine with me, just makes me feel like a soccer mom driving my kids around in my big SUV haha. 
But I also felt old this weekend after attending a Strada training seminar. I was always the kid that went to school and played sports...that was my life.  As we were going through the team's training plan for this season, I realized I was no longer one of the kids that just took the team schedule without a care that it would fit into my schedule. I was getting really excited about the different rides throughout the week until I realized, "oh wait...I'll be on Surgery that month, probably getting no sleep....how am I going to fit in 10 hours/week in the saddle???"  Although I've been in med school for 3 years now, it just now hit me that all the triathlon/training things I used to do revolve around my work/school schedule...like a real adult...ahhhh.  It sounds stupid for it to just be hitting me now, I've always put my school first. But I have never had a problem working the necessary cycling, running, swimming, whatever, into my schedule. I've never had to tell myself  "ok this month, I won't be able to work out, sleep comes first."  Then again, I'm also the stupid one who will sleep 4 hours just so i can go on a longer ride/run the next day...and then end up getting injured.  SO...i guess my "ahhhhhh" moment was good for me. I know I need to not put so much emphasis on triathlons and how behind i am in training and just accept that I'm doing my best to balance life. (I mean, who and I kidding, am i going to be a pro triathlete or cyclist?? Yea right!!) In my case that includes learning to be a doctor, a social person, a "for fun" triathlete, and all the other billion things I try to squeeze into my life!  
In other news...i'm getting really into rock climbing, its so much fun. I've got a sprint tri coming up in 3 weeks (ahh!), and half iron-man in about 2 months (double AHHHH!!). Oh and anesthesia is going well. I go to bed at 10pm, run in the mornings, intubate a few people everyday (or attempt to and fail miserably seems to be the trend), try not to break any teeth, eat the doctors lounge food, and pretend like I know what I'm doing, but we all know that 3rd year med students are generally clueless. 
SO...if me feeling old helps me put things in perspective and re-evaluate my priorities, I guess it's a good thing. I'm just afraid of the one day when I actually am old and I'm trying to feel young lol...

p.s. check me out at Strada racing  The pics are kinda corny and I have no bio cuz i haven't gotten around to thinking of anything wise...other than..." I LOVE BIKES!"  



No comments:

Post a Comment