Tuesday, April 6, 2010

First ED shift!

So today was my first ED shift and it was awesome. To start off with, one of my attendings went to UF and is the VP of the Scottsdale Gator club and said he could get me cheap tickets to Gator games!!!! That just made my whole rotation from the beginning. But on top of that I got to do so much more than I thought. To sum it up, I did this today:

- had a patient tell me he tried to shoot himeslf but his gun jammed

- pelvic exam on a lady with a prolapsed bladder...that was weird.

- participated in a code/defibrillation (that was pretty scary and awesome at the same time!!)

- watched a crazy 22 yr old patient punch a nurse in the back of the head
- watched same crazy 22yr old patient get restrained against her will by the cops and in the process set off a schizophrenic in the hallway
- listened to crazy 22yr old and schizophrenic argue through the hallway about how who was going to kill who...for 2 hours.

- intubated a 21 yr old kid with severe asthma (also really scary)

- sutured a lady's head lac completely alone (the docs really trust me for some reason haha)

So I'm still really surprised I got to do all of this on my first day. I never thought they would let me do that much, esp on my first day, it was great. I think a part of it was that it was just a busy day and I got lucky enough to get cool cases today, but we shall see I guess.  I'm working night shift for the next 2 days and I'm not so sure the middle of the night is that exciting.  I'm purposely staying up late right now so I can sleep in late tomorrow haha...i can just see myself dozing off before I even have to be at work tomorrow! More stories to come I'm sure :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment