Monday, February 8, 2010

Planning for Colombia :)

I've been trying to plan out my 4th year the past couple of days and it is STRESSFULL! There are so many rotations I want to do and not enough time to do them all. The other thing that is causing me stress is planning my rotation in Colombia. I'm pretty sure I want to do a pediatric rotation. Everytime I go to Colombia to visit I always get so heartbroken by the children wandering down the street, in traffic, selling gum to make some money.  I always end up buying their whole supply as soon as I see them and end up giving them extra money to go buy themselves ice cream lol, those kids LOVE ice cream.  Since I was a kid I can remember giving them my whole stash of pesos that my parents gave me...they always got mad when they found out i gave it to the kids on the first day lol.

 But when I go back for my rotation I really hope I can finally do something more for them.  Setting up the whole things is somewhat of a production, since it is sort of difficult to call Bogota and get in touch with somebody, not to mention the right person who can actually help me. BUT, i know it'll be TOTALLY worth it. It has been 5 years since I went to the Dominican Republic on the medical mission. That trip was a complete life changing experience for me and now drives my dreams of doing third world medicine.  It put everything in life back in perspective.

Here are some pics of Bogota, Colombia!

Top of Montserrate looking down on Bogota! It's beautiful there. 


University of Los Andes- The school/hospital I'll be working with; also my cousin's medical school!



My aunt Teresa and a little guy we met while hiking in the mountains living with his family. We dropped off food and clothes for them. He was born in that house and has never been seen by a doctor...ever!  He's the reason I want to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment