Thursday, March 5, 2009

Sir, Sir...Are you ok?????


Today was the first day in ACLS that we had to lead codes...a very scary thing for me. Granted, we were sort of just practicing and there were 8 of us helping eachother out...I don't even know what it is about a heart monitor that erases people's and my memory. Just to give you an idea of the setting...simulated ER bay, crash cart, monitor, plastic dummy that can display all kinds of vitals (they can even tell you to go away!), mirrored windows for our evaluators to laugh at us, and my favorite....an arm in a large sink across the room (for the IV's) So ok, not THE MOST realistic setting, but still can be scary when you're fake patient stops breathing and you have several sets of eyes waiting for you to give orders. Maybe its just that I actually picture these exact scenarios happenning to me in a few months on rotations...it would happen to me, always in the right place at the wrong time, its just my terrible luck, ahhhh.

Oh well, I'm just trying to pick up as much as I can from these dummy's (the actual medical dummy's not my professors) while I'm here and hope I'm at least somewhat aware of how the heck running a code is supposed to go, oh and for sure I must remember not to run to the nearest sink looking for a random arm to start an IV. Also, I'm not sure I'm ever going to get used to talking to a plastic man without feeling weird and laughing at myself. If anything, I can always take my acls prof's advice and "pretend i see nothing and sneak out of the room slowly"....kidding, but seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment