Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Alive!!!


St. Louis marathon: CHECK!!!

So its been 2 days since i ran 26.2 miles in the non-stop rain...it was pretty awesome!!! I managed to get my butt across the finish line in 4:34...not too bad for my first introduction to 26.2 miles of just running! I think i could've come out faster than I did, but I was so afraid of getting caught up in the adrenaline rush and coming too fast and dying early on. I tried not to focus on time and just run like I know how and I did exactly that, except for the fact that I'm not used to running with soaking wet feet and the worst shorts chaffage i've ever had in my life!!! That rain really threw a wrench in my body glide plan...but luckily i wasn't alone...i saw many bloody nipples and people changing socks several times. At one point I was so desperate to rid myself of this chaffing that I stole an entire cup of vaseline from the nice lady handing it out in a cup at a water station. I didn't need just a little dab...i needed the whole damn cup! I will say that the couse was a tough one...hills galore...just grand! I am very happy that I did it, it meant a lot to me, i even cried at the end. (what a loser!) If you would've told me 1 year ago that I'd run a marathon thsi year i'd point and laugh at you. It's amazing what a little motivation can do! I had a great run and i'm very proud of myself and all my running peeps for rocking it!

Will I do another one? Ummm....perhaps. (ok most likely yes, at some point) I will say if I DO do anther one, it will be either Chicago or the Rock and Roll in Phoenix. But I do want to focus more on triathlons, they're my favorite! SOMA 70.3 is coming up (october) and I'm anxious to get back in the pool and start on that adventure!

My favorite parts of the race: getting smoked by a (what looked like) 90 year old man, joining a group of old guys (who were trucking along, avg age about 65) and talking to them about life, swiping almost a pint of vaseline and caking it on my leg while trying to keep running (awesome sight), being told I eat hills for lunch by an awesome bystander, feeling my arches drop out at mile 15 (this wasn't really my fav part), watching people sit and eat amazingly delicious chipoltle burritos as i ran by at mile 18 (jerks!), cursing (in my head) at the marathon relay people as they zoomed by me, really seeing what I was made of those last 6 miles, partially losing my vision on the last 2 miles, yelling at the people across the finish that i didn't need to go to the med tent despite my blindless, stumbling, and tears haha, and the best part...being told by some random guy that he'd been following me the entire race and that i was a "very strong girl".

This is me today:

No comments:

Post a Comment