Monday, April 27, 2009

Keeping things in perspective...

About a week after my race, I've been thinking a lot about my next endeavors, not just in the triathlon world, but also with medicine. I still plan on doing a few olympic distance triathlons in preparation for SOMA 70.3 distance in October. But I've been really trying to evaluate where I'm at, mentally, before I jump into training. I love triathlons but I just want to make completely sure that I'm doing it for the right reasons before I throw myself in. Those who have raced before can attest to the fact that if you're not mentally ready for training, and doing it for the right reasons, it's not going to go well. What do I mean by "the right reasons?" For me, the right reasons to do a race are simply because I love it. My last race, the marathon, was something I set out to do because it's something I wanted to show myself I could do, and it was fun! But I know and have accepted that I don't love running marathons, i like the variety of the triathlon, and my body tolerates it better...and that's totally ok with me, no shame AT ALL. But I have met several people that, in my opinion, are missing the point. I TOTALLY understand the whole "i want to do a _____ race just to say I did" or if you're using it to overcome a hard life experience, that's awesome. But don't jump into something because you know it'll get you the nickname of "beast" or get people complimenting you on how "hardcore" you are. I mean, is that even worth it?? Do things (races) because its your passion and you love it, not because you want to show off or prove you can be superman/woman. If there's one thing that I cannot stand is somebody who races for show and that whole mentality. It's quite annoying actually. The best athletes i've ever met never brag/show off/talk about their goals to others as a way to boost their own confidence. They also know when to go for it, and when to hold back...and honestly, holding back when necessary says more about a person than going for it at all costs. This is me rambling about all the showboaters and "go big or go home" attitudes haha. (maybe i'm having a bad day? lol) But seriously...

Maybe people don't realize they're doing things for the wrong reasons...its possible. This is why I'm really trying to keep my own reasons for racing in perspective rather than get caught up in the whole "omg i just did a race and now i want to run every race on the planet" whirlwind...its like a syndrome...post race big-head syndrome?? I will say I have felt the post race high, big time. There's a reason I continue to sign up for race after race. But more than anything, I want to keep things real. I got my rotation schedule today, and whoa...it made the fact that I'm going to be seeing patients in a couple short months very real! I know I can crank out a half iron man while in medical school. But I'm making sure that my heart is in everything I'm about to take on and that I'm being true to myself. (3am workouts before a surgery rotation are not worth it just for bragging rights) So, after a week of evaluating everything, it's time to swimming folks!

Moral of story: Evaluate your reasons for doing things friends. (races, career, life, etc) Take the time to really think what your motivation is, because at the end of the race, 5k or double ironman, it's what ultimately can make or break you. Know where you're heart's at and keep it real!! (and realistic)

Quote for the next 6 months: "Just keep swimming..."
-Dori, Finding Nemo

1 comment: