Thursday, February 26, 2009

Angry man made my day...

It rained for most of the day today. And frankly, I was feeling as somber as the weather for some reason, just one of those days I suppose. I went around trying to catch a good picture (when I should have been studying) of the rain but I wasn't satisfied with any that I took. So I found a picture of the rain that I love. This picture was taken in Colombia in the middle of a small flea market. I love it because although its grey and raining very hard, when I look at it, I still want to be sitting on that bench in the middle of the rain just happy as can be!

So today I was feeling as grey as the unsatisfying rain until about 3pm...when I went in to see a "patient" (they're people from the community acting out certain roles.) So my patient today, I quickly learned, was playing the ever so popular "drug seeker." And I have to say, he was a great actor. I walked in the room and the next thing I know I'm being yelled at that i'm not a real doctor and he won't speak to me unless I'm capable of writing him a prescription for darvoset. He was a feisty old man! So I'm thinking "old man with white pony tail, yelling at me, telling me I'm not a real doctor...awesome." Lucky for me, this was not the first time I've had to deal with not-so-happy old men that DO NOT like being told what to do by a young woman (thank you Air Force!) So I procedded to make it clear that yelling would not get him any closer to his darvoset so I suggested that he cooperate and simmer down. (well not in those words, but basically that's how it went down.) I suppose I put on my Lt. Ramirez hat again. So the rest of the interaction went as well as could be expected, he was still somewhat yelling. Anyway, when I came back for my feedback after the encounter he gave me a great compliment and made my rainy day great. He basically told me, "I've never had such a small, cute girl unarm my attitude as quickly and as camly as you just did in there...please don't show wife how to do that....you have doctor written all over you." His feedback was awesome and made me smile. I guess its good, and kind of funny, to know that I'm best at dealing with angry old men.

Now if I can only figure out how not to cry the second I see my patient start crying...

No comments:

Post a Comment