Sunday, February 15, 2009

Refreshed...


Ironically, although it was valentine's day weekend, this weekend was the best weekend i've had in a long time. I laid low on friday night and just hung out with my music, pharmacology, and of course my camera.

I got a 10 mile in on Saturday morning which was a decent run. It snowed a but the night before and the route was out of town where they don't plow the roads, so there was still snow and ice on the road. I didn't think it would be that bad but I ended up falling pretty bad one time, I have the bruises to prove it! I bet it would've been pretty funny to watch. Tweaked my knee a little bit but it wasn't too bad. We had a running buddy, he ran with us about 8 of the 10 miles until he had to be carried so he wouldn't get hit by traffic. He was so cute and friendly, and not to mention a great runner. We ended up taking him to the humane society so he was safe and his owners could pick him up hopefully.
Overall I'm ok with my performance, it felt good to run that distance without worrying about my knee. I've got to start cranking up the miles and prep for a longer run next weekend though. I'm excited. I just hope it doesn't snow too much this week.

The rest of the weekend was very relaxing, no medicine was studied. Slumdog Millionaire was an amazing movie. It reminded me of how I've always wanted to travel to India on a medical mission. I would love to go just to visit but anytime I picture myself visiting a place with such poverty I almost feel wrong going and not doing something to really help the people. I would love to go and see the beauty of it and take pictures and learn the culture. But one day I hope i can do something for the children in need. Third world medicine has always been a dream of mine. It makes everything I'm learning so much more worthwhile. The things we take for granted in this country make worlds of different to kids in third world countries. There is nothing more humbling than knowing that I can save the life of a child by doing a simple physical exam or teaching them how to wash their hands.

I know I can't "save the world" like my mom always tells me, but If I could at least change the lives of a few, that would be good enough for me. Maybe instead of trying to save the world all the time, I'll just focus on helping changing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment