Saturday, February 21, 2009

Runner with ADD= Triathlete?

I forced myself into the pool today despite the objections of my exhausted body. It made for a shameful swim but a great motivator. I sometimes trick myself into doing a workout that I really know is going to suck just because I know myself, and I know that the more frustrated I am with my performance, the harder I will work. So overall, my trick worked! I have a little over 8 months to get back into triathlon shape, and I'm totally up for it. If now is not the time, I don't know when will be. The bottom line seems to be that my life is always crazy and busy and all over the place. There will never be a lull in life where suddenly I realize, "yup, clock says its about that time in my life to train for 70.3 triathlon." I just understand now, more than ever, that I have to make the best of my time to work on my dreams and cross them off my list (which i promise will be coming soon!) If I can do that while staying focused on what really matters in life, I'd call that success.

So although the marathon is the next thing on the list, I feel myself thinking more about triathlons lately. Maybe its because I finally realized that 2009 is my year for 70.3, among many other things! I love running, it was my actually my first love. (does that mean I'm cheating on running? never!) But as I'm going through marathon training I've realized that I might have running ADD, I self-diagnose a lot. Don't get me wrong, I can run forever, and I love it, its a huge part of who I am. But I'm thinking i want to spread, or maybe share that love with my bike and with swimming again. And also, my feet and knees don't love the 20 mile runs as much as the soul does. Is it freakish of me to say that triathlons are easier for me than marathons? Maybe. So, not only do I want to be fair and share the love, I owe it to my loyal knees to focus more on things that they enjoy more...the triathlon.

So this year is big for me...and I'm happy to know that the best is yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment